This post is brought to you by M&M’s®. This shop has been compensated by #CollectiveBias, Inc. and its advertiser, all opinions are mine alone. #ShareFunshine
Happy Friday, friends! We have a very busy weekend planned in south Florida, one of our busiest yet with baby. Before I sign off to pack our bags let’s chat about hosting a stylishly outdoor party for the ladies.
Cheerful summer displays are my jam, especially those with a slightly vintage hue. The colors featured on this display are so very Melissa Creates, wink. Not sure what to do with your favorite ladies this summer? Host an outdoor summer sweets party of course! Grab all the sweet details including a mason jar cupcake with M&M’s® icing recipe and a fancy DIY checker board game.
Let’s chat party decor.
Create place markers by using favor bags. You’ll have a cute place setting display PLUS favor bags for guests to add M&M’s® to and take home.
Separate one large flower arrangement into multiple arrangements. Instead of buying multiple bouquets trim the flowers yourself and add to multiple vases; be sure to add flower food.
Paper plates are cool. Many of us only use china when it comes to entertaining guests, but during the summer months and when entertaining outdoors go for the cutesy paper plates, fun paper cups, paper napkins and bold plastic cutlery. Coordinate patterns and colors and you’re good to go!
Let’s chat party games.
Creating a DIY board game has been on my “I want to make one of those” lists for awhile now. I strayed from the traditional checkerboard game color and style to create something unique. Using hearts or stars on your board game is a fun alternative too! Board games and snacking go hand in hand and the XXL M&M’s® bags have you covered for all your summer game playing. Ready to create your own stylish checkerboard game?
Wood board (an 8×8 square is ideal, but rectangle was my choice for decorative reasons)
Paint & thin paint brush
Ruler and Pencil
Hearts, stars or circles as game pieces
Decorative stencil (optional)
- Measure out the checkerboard to create the appropriate amount of game spaces. There are 64 standard squares on a checkerboard per square measuring at 2×2, but this can be proportionally adjusted. If using a rectangle shaped board be sure to measure the actual game playing space into a perfect square, this will leave open spaces on the sides for decorative stencils as pictured.
- Using a pencil and ruler begin marking squares in the outlined game playing space.
- Cover every other row with painters tape vertically and horizontally. Paint only the exposed squares. Allow a minimum of 10 minutes for drying time. Remove the painters tape slowly. Allow an additional 10 minutes of set time before taping again. Using painters tape again, cover the the other set of vertical and horizontal rows and paint the exposed squares. Allow suggested drying time and remove painters tape. *Before painting and taping keep in mind that every other square per row is painted and that in each row the painted squares are opposite from the previous row.
- Using painters tape mark off the edges of the playing square and paint with an alternative color to outline your board. Allow suggested drying time, remove painters tape and allow suggested set time.
- Optional- use a decorative stencil on the edges of a rectangle wood board.
- Paint only one side of the game pieces (stars or shapes of choice). Allow 10-20 minutes drying time.
- Play your fancy DIY checkerboard game and have fun!
Let’s chat party sweets!
Summer sweet treats are the best. We’re big cupcake fans and adding a little extra touch to a basic icing can make a world of a difference! Aside from mason jar cupcakes (recipe below) have party guests enjoy a fruity sip such as berry juice, a salty treat to offer the perfect sweet treat balance and plenty of varieties of M&M’s®.
vanilla cake mix
3 large eggs
1/2 cup of oil
1/2 cup of water
1 container of icing
2 cups of chopped M&M’s® Original
Preheat oven to 325
Grease square baking pan
Add oil, water and cake mix
Bake for 25 minutes
Allow cake to cool and set aside
Chop 2 cups of M&M’s® Original using a knife
Combine icing and 2 cups of chopped M&M’s®
Using the top of a mason jar slowly cut into the cooled square cake
Slowly push the cake down into the mason jar
Fill the remaining space in the mason jar with the chopped M&M’s® icing
Serve and enjoy!
While having a variety of M&M’s® for your upcoming summer sweets party is a must, it’s also a good idea to make sure to have some extra on hand for all your other summer entertaining needs and outings! I have M&M’s® on hand daily thanks to the XXL bags at Sam’s Club. Be sure to pick up one or all of the options- M&M’s® Crispy, M&M’s® Original and M&M’s® Peanut. How will you be using the XXL bags this summer?
Thank you for supporting brands and companies that make this blog possible. xo